I'm just over 3 weeks away from running the Sporting Life 10k in Toronto, and in exactly 4 weeks from today, I'll be arriving in Tulsa, OK to see Hanson for my very first Hanson Day.
I figured it's about time to start training for my run (you know me, leaving everything to the last minute). For me, running is such a mental game right now because the weather is still so crazy that I can't run outside, and the treadmill bores me so much.
However, I found that having the right music makes it so much more tolerable. And what better music to get me pumped for my run, than the boys I'm going to see a week later. I've decided not to set myself a time or a set distance, but instead, I set myself a number of songs that I want to run to. So I focus on the music, how many songs I've done and how many I have left and it's really been working for me.
I know this music is not for everyone. In fact, I'm sure most people will roll their eyes or even skip this post all together. But for those who appreciate upbeat, catchy tunes, check out this list and give it a try the next time you're on the treadmill or out for a run.
Here is my top 10 list of Hanson songs to run to. (And you may be surprised that this top 10 list does not include the song MMMBOP, which most people think is the only song Hanson has).
- I'm going to start with the most obvious Hanson song for running. Appropriately named "Runaway Run". It starts a bit slow which is good to get your run started. Then the chorus comes and just makes you want to go.
- Next, I like "Fired Up" to keep the momentum going. The beat is great and the lyrics get you pumped.
- "If Only" is one of my all-time favorite Hanson songs and just makes me want to jump - not recommended while on the treadmill though. (If you've seen Hanson in concert, you'll know what I'm talking about - thank you for the workout Taylor).
- "Penny & Me" is a super-catchy song that just puts a smile on my face and an extra little spring in my step.
- "This Time Around" is another one of my favorite songs. The lyric "...and we won't go down" is just so powerful and makes you want to push on.
- Then we go old-school Hanson with "A Minute Without You". This song is another super fun song with a chorus that just makes you want to race.
- I can't explain how much I love the song "Lost Without Each Other". As soon as it comes on it puts a smile on my face (despite what the name might make you think, the beat is very uplifting).
- "Give A Little" starts out a bit slow but when the chorus hits you, the fun energy keeps you going.
- "I Was Born" is Hanson's newest single and just such a motivating song. If you listen to the words, it really does make you feel like you can do anything.
- Finally, "Strong Enough to Break". When you feel like you've had enough, this song just makes you want to finish strong.
This list will usually get me about 30 minutes/5km. If you're looking for a bit longer, I'd also recommend these songs:
- Unbelievable (with Owl City)
- MMMBOP (there it is!)
- Thinkin' 'Bout Somethin'
- Tragic Symphony
- Sure About It
- Been There Before
Where are all of my Hanson fans at? Am I missing any songs that you love? Let me know in the comments below.