Pumpkin Spice season is back in full swing. It's actually been "full swing" for me for the past month, which in turn has totally derailed my health and fitness goals. I have been eating all of the sugary, processed pumpkin spice treats I could get my hands on - and you can tell. But now I'm done having my fun and making excuses and I AM going to get it together and get myself healthy again.
I'm not quite ready to give up the pumpkin spice completely, so now I'm challenging myself to find healthier alternatives. I'm ditching the processed treats for homemade, whole food ones.
This week, I'm starting my days (post-workout) with this delicious and nutritious Pumpkin Spice "Oatmeal". Except there are no oats - I'm using cauliflower instead.
- 1 cup riced cauliflower **
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 - 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (depends on how sweet you want it)
- 2 tbsp. crushed pecans
- small saucepan
** I take a head of cauliflower and use the large side of my cheese grater to "rice" my cauliflower
- Cook riced cauliflower, coconut milk and water in small saucepan on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Lower heat to simmer and add ground flaxseed, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, maple syrup and crushed pecans
- Mix to combine it all together and simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and serve
This is a great warm, pumpkin spicy breakfast for these cool fall mornings.
I'll definitely be enjoying this weekly (if not daily). I'm getting my veggies and pumpkin spice in...seems like a win-win to me. If you're a pumpkin spice fan, I hope you give this a try and enjoy!